Dekalb County Lake
A 120-acre lake located on Sand Mountain in Sylvania, Alabama.
- Campground with hookups (shower in concession area, closes at 8:00pm) and clean public restrooms
- Concessions include drinks and snacks
- Bait shop has a wide variety of fishing tackle, live and artificial baits, and other fishing supplies
- An accessible fishing pier makes it easy to reach deeper water without using a boat. Fish attractors have been added around the lake. Boats are also available for rent; a launching ramp is available for anglers with their own boats. Boats may have an outboard motor attached, but anglers may not use the outboard motor, only the trolling motor. Picnic pavilions are available; contact the lake manager.
License & Permit Requirements
*Partial list; complete regulations are available in the current regulation book and the “Alabama Game, Fish, and Wildlife Law Book”
1. Any person 12 years old or older must have a valid daily fishing permit in possession to fish. No child younger than 12 years old can legally be left unaccompanied by an adult.
2. The daily creel, possession, and size limits for each species are posted at the lake.
3. Fishing is limited to daylight hours, or as specified by the lake manager.
4. Swimming and wading are not allowed.
5. Fish taken from the lake must be carried to the lake manager, who will count and weigh them.
6. No method other than hook and line with natural or artificial bait may be used to take fish from a State Lake. Taking, or attempting to take, fish by any other means is not allowed, including, but not limited to: snagging, snatching, trot lines, set hooks, limb lines, jug fishing, spear, or bow and arrow.
7. Anyone launching a boat at a State Lake must have a valid launch permit and fishing permit.
8. State fishing license requirements are in effect and fishing licenses may be purchased at State Public Fishing Lakes.
9. A person fishing shall upon demand exhibit his catch, fishing permit, and fishing license to any Conservation Officer, concessionaire, or other agent or employee of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for inspection.
10. No species of fish shall be stocked in the state-owned public fishing lakes. Live minnows used for bait shall be limited to goldfish minnows (Indiana minnows); golden shiners (shiners) and fathead minnows (toughies or tuffies) and no minnow, either dead or alive, shall be released from a minnow bucket or other method.